1. Historians agree that the most advanced economy up until the eighteenth century was that of
2. Who were the ulama?
A. Shi’a bureaucrats
B. Shi’a slaves
C. Sunni religious scholars
D. Sunni mercenaries
3. _______ became the most important industry in the Spanish colonies.
B. Cattle ranching
4. Michel de Montaigne introduced the literary genre called the
5. If you were a European mariner sailing the Indian Ocean during the sixteenth century, chances are you were
. What was the main consequence of the defeat of the Turkish fleet at the Battle of Lepanto of 1571?
A. The Ottomans increased their efforts to expand their European territories.
B. The Ottoman Empire formed an alliance with Spain.
C. The Ottoman Empire lost control of Mediterranean trade.
D. The Ottomans intensified efforts to modernize their navy.
7. During the fifteenth century, the status of women was highest in
D. Southeast Asia.
8. Under the system called the devshirme,
A. sultans produced potential heirs by way of slave-concubines.
B. youths were recruited from Christian families to become slaves.
C. slaves could serve as advisors called viziers.
D. all property belonged to the Sultan.
In Africa, the greatest obstacle to population growth was
A. crop failure.
10. Which statement regarding the Qizilbash is false?
A. They were granted large tracts of grazing land.
B. They provided troops to the Safavid Empire.
C. They provided the Safavid Empire with skilled bureaucrats.
D. They were Turkish Sufis.
11. After Charles I was executed, Thomas Hobbes wrote Leviathan, wherein he defended a thesis. Which of these statements bestsummarizes that thesis?
A. Monarchies must be overthrown.
B. Individuals, on their own, must embrace liberal ideals.
C. Social order requires a social contract.
D. People are mainly good at heart.
12. In Russia, boyars were
A. Muscovite Cossacks.
B. Russians of Mongol descent.
C. high-ranking nobles.
13. Prior to the scientific revolution, who reconciled Aristotle’s philosophy with Christian doctrine?
B. The natural philosophers
C. The pope
D. Thomas Aquinas
14. Under the reign of Louis XIII, Cardinal Richelieu sought to suppress Protestantism
A. throughout Europe.
B. to increase royal authority.
C. in the context of seeking support from the Vatican.
D. to gain the support of England.
15. Montesquieu was to the idea of the division of power as Denis Diderot was to the
A. concept of Deism.
B. Encyclopedia: The Rational Dictionary of the Sciences, the Arts, and the Crafts.
C. idea of tabula rasa.
D. Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations.
16. Under Louis XIV, _______ in Versailles.
A. rules of etiquette were ignored
B. nobles were seldom required to attend the court
C. women recommended individuals for honors and patronage
D. Protestants were held in high regard
17. According to the work of Johannes Kepler, which statement is false?
A. Planetary orbits are elliptical.
B. Planetary orbital motion is uniform.
C. The order of the universe is based on mathematical relationships.
D. The time required for a planet to orbit the sun specifies its distance from the sun.
Mark for review (Will be highlighted on the review page)
18. With the exception of _______, most societies have engaged in the slave trade.
A. the Australian Aborigines
19. During the fifteenth century, Arab and African merchants transported slaves to the Mediterranean where they were sold to all of the following countries except
A. the Middle East.
B. Cowrie shells
Hi there! Click one of our representatives below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.