Assignment #5 Guidelines – Formal Research-based Proposal
Identify a problem or issue within an organization. This may be a current or past place of employment or a community group, such as a church, school, homeowner’s association, daycare, recreation center, and so on. The assignment objective is to propose a solution to the problem or issue, and to present that solution to a decision-maker or group of decision-makers who can implement the recommendation.
Over the course of the term, you will develop a concrete, practical solution to the problem that can be implemented. Reference sources will be included that explain the problem, issue and/or support the solution. The proposal will include a discussion of resources necessary to implement the solution, the timeline, and the benefits of doing so. The proposal will include the following components:
Table of Contents
Introduction in the form of an Executive Summary
Body of the proposal
Conclusion stated as a recommendation for implementation of the solution
End matter to include reference page and any other data suitable for this section of the report
The proposal must be no fewer than 2,000 words, no more than 3,000. The word count includes all components. The purpose of establishing a word count is to ensure the topic chosen is neither too big nor too small. Also, writing within parameters is a common requirement in business communications.
As you consider topics, bear this in mind: the problem or issue need not be enormous. Within the scope of the assignment are issues such as these:
1) The problem may be increasing crime in a local neighborhood, and the solution could be a neighborhood watch program; decision-makers would include homeowners in the area.
2) Crowding in your place of employment results in shared office space and limited resources. A proposed solution could be implementation of a telecommuting program to permit some employees in suitable occupations to work from home on a full- or part-time basis.
3) Concern about your company’s image and role in the community has prompted much dialog. A possible strategy for improving the company’s image and perception could be the implementation of a recycling program that supports “green thinking.”
4) Parking at your child’s elementary school is at a premium during pick-up and drop-off times. You could develop a strategy to facilitate a more streamlined process to increase safety and decrease wait times. Your proposal would be directed to the school’s principal.
5) Rising health care costs are a concern nationwide. To address your company’s issues, you are proposing the implementation of a wellness program. The benefits of implementing a program like this are many, ranging from lowering our health care costs (as much as 15 percent) to boosting morale.
6) Communication among members of a local church is difficult to facilitate, and the congregation is seeking a solution to the communication issues. You could propose establishing a Web site for congregation members to read updates, participate in the discussion, contact other members, and so on.
The objective of the project is to participate in the development of a detailed proposal that emerges in several pieces over the course of the term, as do lengthy written projects completed in any organizational setting.
Hi there! Click one of our representatives below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.